Last Updated November 26th, 2021 at 06:37 pm by Lisa
Some of the classic “must-haves” on the 4th of July are more than tradition, they make our celebrations into memories with friends and family. Many of these recipe ideas have patriotic red, white, and blue colors, and all are easy.
I also have more than ONE-HUNDRED red, white, and blue desserts. Your summer party or picnic will be one to remember with a patriotic July 4th dessert.
These recipes are from inspiring Food Blogger friends, and I am also sharing my July 4th menu I made over many years...
⬇ July 4th Recipe Video ⬇
When it comes to July 4th, Americans definitely have 4th of July Food Traditions.
How they started is not exactly known, but there are some great items that most people love to have on our national holiday.
July 4th Tips For Cookouts, Barbeques, Picnics
- Use serving pieces you have, red, white, and blue are great but not necessary. Look high and low for the thing you have-trust me you have great pieces to use. Find trays, baskets, bowls, or buy inexpensive ones.
- Plan an area for all the food. A nice long table in the shade, the dinner table, or a kitchen counter space all work great. Serve out of the heat, cover food, and try to keep any salads or meat items covered.
- For summer pool parties, I make sure to get food back in the fridge after about an hour or so to keep it safe, then take it out later in the day when people get hungry again.
- Plan for your number of guests, and space to walk around the table, and chairs, and places to sit in the shade.
- Have containers to send leftovers home with guests, people love it! I use inexpensive Chinese paper takeout containers or grocery store brands.
- If serving outside, plan out to keep food protected from flying insects with food tents, chill salads, and keep dishes out of the direct sun if possible.
- Use what you have to create different heights if possible and to keep people moving around trying different dishes. I sometimes use boxes under pretty linens and tablecloths to create high and low places.
- Use American flags, linens, flowers, and patriotic decorations.
- Serve salads in large chilled bowls on ice packs with a pretty towel covering the ice packs. There are also platters that stay chilled for up to two hours, I have a couple and love them.
- Trays - regular or ones that stay chilled
- Small Bowls
- Small Serving Spoons
- Salad Tongs
- Red Solo Cups
- Insect Tents/Covers
- Bottled Water
- Iced Tea or Lemonade
- Chips, Pretzels, Snacks
- Cookout, BBQ, and Grill Items
- Cocktails and Drinks
Blueberry Pie ~ Grill Baked
If you would like to learn how to bake a pie on your grill, take a look at my recipe for Blueberry Pie. There are lots of tips helpful resources to bake on your grill and get the patriotic flag pie crust. It keeps the house cooler and works so well. Not to mention it is the most fun party trick ever!
An All American July 4th Menu
Each year, I love to celebrate with a traditional July 4th menu. The backyard and pool are all decorated, baby back ribs are put in the smoker early in the morning while the coffee is just brewing, and with the ribs rubbed with my Grill and BBQ rub the night before.
It starts early and goes late until the last fireworks crackle. It is one of my favorite holidays, and I serve more food than people can believe, but somehow it all disappears, here is what is usually on the menu...
- Burger Seasoning
- Burger Sauce
- Cole Slaw
- Grill & BBQ Rub
- Oven Roasted Pulled Pork
- Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Watermelon Salad
- Patriotic M&M Cookies
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- American Flag Pie
- Ice Cream Cake
- Baked Hamburgers
- Grilled Corn
- Blueberry Pie Baked Outdoors
- White Sangria
- Cowboy Baked Beans
- Blue Cheese and Bacon Potato Salad
Party Drinks & Appetizers
Serve light and refreshing drinks like white wine sangria, for July 4th and all summer. Use summer fruits in new ways like a strawberry crostini.
How patriotic are the layered drinks and watermelon stars?
- Summer Sangria - July 4th Sparklers by Delicious Table
- Red, White, and Blue Daiquiri by Kleinworth & Co
- Raspberry Vodka Spritzer by A Communal Table
- Red, White, and Blue Sangria Sparklers by A Fork's Tale
- Frozen Bomb Pop Cooler by Bitz & Giggles
- Easy Homemade Sweet Peach Tea by A Farmgirl's Kitchen
- Red, White, and Blue Sangria by Cooking with Carlee
- Frosty Patriotic Punch by Spend with Pennies
- Star-Spangled Fruit Infused Water by The View from Great Island
- Red, White, and Blue Rum Slush for Two by Zona Cooks
- Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie by Veggie Inspired
- CoronaRita Frozen Margarita Beer Cocktail by Delicious Table
- Raspberry Mint Vodka Spritzer by A Communal Table
- Hibiscus Cocktails by Delicious Table
- Real Cuban Mint Mojitos by Delicious Table
- Hibiscus Margarita by A Communal Table
- Roasted Hatch Chile Spicy Bloody Mary Mix by Delicious Table
- Spicy Mexican Beer Micheladas by Delicious Table
- Red, White, and Blue Sangria by Certified Pastry Aficionado
- Easy Guacamole by Delicious Table
- Firecracker Shrimp "Un-Fried" by Delicious Table
- Watermelon Skewers by Debra Klein
- Almond Berry Fruit Dip by Dip Recipe Creations
- Party Classic French Onion Dip by Delicious Table
- Red White and Blue Golden Oreo Cheeseball by Dip Recipe Creations
- Balsamic Strawberry Toasted Crostini with Ricotta & Fresh Basil by Home & Plate
- Ice Cold Sweet Summertime Blueberry Lemonade by Delicious Table
Side Dishes & Salads
- Cowboy Baked Beans by Delicious Table
- Easy Picnic Pasta Salad by Delicious Table
- Fire Grilled Hatch Chile Tomatillo Salsa by Delicious Table
- Country Style Baked Beans by A Farmgirl's Kitchen
- Grilled Corn - Mexican Chile Lime Elotes by Delicious Table
- Macaroni Pasta Salad - Dot's Original Family Recipe by Delicious Table
- Coleslaw by Delicious Table
- Red, White, and Bleu Potato Salad by Healthy Seasonal Recipes
- Summer Fruit Salsa by Home. Made. Interest.
- Red, White, and Blue American Potato Salad by Delicious Table
- Garlic Dill Potato Salad by Loaves and Dishes
- 7 Layer Salad by Delicious Table
- Fruity Quinoa Salad by Nutrition to Fit
- Watermelon-Blueberry Salad by Savoring Today
- Strawberry and Blueberry Caprese Farro Salad by The Forked Spoon
- The Summer Berry Salad by The Organic Kitchen
- Watermelon Feta Salad with Blueberries by The Spicy Apron
- Strawberry, Blueberry, and Jicama Salad by The Whole Serving
- Beet and Blueberry Salad by Upstate Ramblings
Cookout Menu, Barbeque, and Grillling
- Smoked Pork Butt (Pulled Pork Sandwiches) by Foodology Geek
- Fall Off The Bone BBQ Ribs Recipe by West Via Midwest
- Honey Balsamic Chipotle Ribs by A Farmgirl's Kitchen
- Grilled Pork Kabobs with Bacon Rub by Foodology Geek
- Chicken Green Chile Sliders by A Communal Table
- Cheeseburgers by Delicious Table
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Sliders by From A Chef's Kitchen
- Grilled Lamb Chops, Peaches, and Parmesan Mint Pesto by Delicious Table
- Grill and BBQ Rub by Delicious Table
- Balsamic Grilled Caprese Chicken by Home & Plate
- Cuban Pulled Pork Sliders by Delicious Table
- Maple Peach BBQ Sauce by A Farmgirl's Kitchen
- Baked American Cheeseburger Sliders by Delicious Table
- Quick and Flavorful Firecracker Sausage Kebabs by Easy Cooking with Melanie
- Firework Hot Dogs by Hustle. Mom. Repeat.
- Patriotic Chicken Fingers by Living Well Kitchen
- Shish Kabobs by Delicious Table
- Loaded Chili Dogs by Delicious Table
- Picnic Basket Pressed Sandwiches by Delicious Table
- Pork Loin Pulled Pork by Delicious Table
Fourth of July Desserts
Celebrating the Fourth of July with our national flag colors is an American tradition. And what could be better than pies, tarts, cookies, no-bake desserts, cakes, cupcakes, trifles, cheesecakes, ice cream sandwiches, popsicles, and more for your party?
I put together a full collection of 100 Patriotic July 4th Dessert Recipes from my food blogger friends, here are a few to inspire you...
- American Flag Strawberry Blueberry Pie by Delicious Table
- Southern Fried Apple Hand Pies by A Farmgirls Kitchen
- Deconstructed Patriotic Pie by An Affair from the Heart
- A Red, White, and Blue Tart by The Simple Sweet Life
- Red, White, and Blue Cookie Tarts by Foodtastic Mom
- Best Ever Homemade Apple Pie by A Farmgirl’s Kitchen
- French Crumble Mini Apple Pies by Delicious Table
- Red, White, and Blue Bites by Chic and Savvy
- Homemade Cherry Pie Filling by A Farmgirls Kitchen
- Red, White, and Blue Berry Fruit Tart by What a Girl Eats
- Grill-Baked Blueberry Pie by Delicious Table
- Star-Spangled Berry Sheet Pan Pie by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- American Flag Fruit Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Star-Spangled Cookies by Sugar Spun Run
- Red, White, and Blue Swirl Cookies by The Decorated Cookie
- Patriotic Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by Kleinworth & Co
- Patriotic M&M Pudding Cookies by An Affair from the Heart
- Patriotic Cookies – Stars n’ Stripes USA Cookies by Delicious Table
- Easy Patriotic Bark by What the Fork
- Patriotic White Chocolate Pretzels by Beyond the Chicken Coop
- 4th of July Donuts by The Simple Sweet Life
- Red, White, and Blueberry Tiramisu by The Suburban Soapbox
- Firecracker Cake by Love Bakes Good Cakes
- Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake by A Farmgirl’s Kitchen
- Patriotic Mini Trifles by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Wave Your Flag Cheesecakes by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Angel Cake Berry Trifle Sundae by A Farmgirl’s Kitchen
- Red, White, and Blueberry Smoothie Popsicles by The Suburban Soapbox
- Berrylicious Ice Pops by Joy Filled Eats
- Berries and Cream Ice Cream Pie by Joy Filled Eats
- Red, White, and Blue Patriotic Fruit Popsicles by Delicious Table
- Firecracker Popsicles by Fried Dandelions
- Berry Cheesecake Bomb Pops by Lively Table
- Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cooking on the Front Burner
- Cherry Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches by Delicious Table
Here are some traditional 4th of July foods for cookouts, picnics, and potluck sides.
Grilled Hot Dogs, Sausages & Hamburgers
Beer and Soda
Corn on the Cob
7 Layer Salad
Red Solo Cups
Red, White, and Blue Drinks and Cocktails
Apple, Cherry, or Strawberry Pie
Ice Cream Sandwiches
Red, White, and Blue Desserts
Independence Day, also referred to as the Fourth of July or July Fourth, is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. The Continental Congress declared that the thirteen American colonies regarded themselves as a new nation, the United States of America, and were no longer part of the British Empire. The Congress actually voted to declare independence two days earlier, on July 2.
Independence Day is commonly associated with fireworks, parades, cookouts, barbecues, carnivals, fairs, picnics, concerts, baseball games, family reunions, and political speeches and ceremonies, in addition to various other public and private events celebrating the history, government, and traditions of the United States. Independence Day is the National Day of the United States. (source: Wikipedia)