Last Updated July 18th, 2020 at 05:15 pm by Lisa
Light Easy Picnic Pasta Salad has fresh herbs, bell pepper, and cheese. This is a mayo-less salad, perfect to serve at outdoor picnics or parties!
The Story Behind Picnic Pasta Salad
Ginger and Jyl are my twin red-headed cousins (aka, “Double-Trouble”) from my Mothers side of the family. They are high energy personalities, and bounce off the walls…oh and did I also mention how zany they are?
Love these two gals, they served this Easy Picnic Pasta Salad recipe at a fish fry party for me in their Wisconsin home. I fell in love the colors and light full fresh flavors. Of course, they were happy to share the recipe, thanks again Ginger and Jyl! XO
How to Make Easy Picnic Pasta Salad – Step by Step
Step #1: Heat water to boil, add pasta. Stir to keep water moving, 5-8 minutes.
Step #2: Drain pasta, shake and rinse (so it’s not sticky).
Step #3: Place pasta in a large bowl, and add oil immediately to hot pasta.
Step #4: Cover and chill 30 minutes.
Step #5: Add all other ingredients, toss well, and chill again at least 2 hours.
Tips for Making Easy Picnic Pasta Salad
Easy Picnic Pasta Salad is a great salad to make ahead and serve outdoors as because is mayo-less!
You can make Easy Picnic Pasta Salad with any fun pasta you like, they like to use the shells. I made it with cavatappi, a pretty spiral pasta noodle…
How long does Pasta Salad Last?
Be sure to refrigerate it when after you’re done digging in, and it should last 3-5 days in the fridge!
Do I have to use Macaroni?
Macaroni is preferred but, of course, you could use any type of pasta noodles and make up your own version!
Enjoy Easy Picnic Pasta Salad right from Ginger and Jyl’s kitchen. It has become one of our favorite recipes to make ahead and enjoy poolside and at outdoor concerts with friends!
All The Best Dishes,
More Picnic Ideas:
Easy Picnic Pasta Salad
- 1 lb Cavatappi pasta or any shape: shells, bow tie, etc.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 2 large orange bell pepper chopped
- 2 large yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion diced finely
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups Monterey jack cheese 1/2” cubes
- Heat water to boil, add pasta. Stir to keep water moving, 5-8 minutes.
- Drain pasta, shake and rinse (so it’s not sticky).
- Place pasta in a large bowl, and add oil immediately to hot pasta.
- Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients, toss well, and chill again at least 2 hours.