Last Updated May 31st, 2019 at 07:29 pm by Lisa
Make old-fashioned homemade deli-style Spicy Pickled Eggs. Use up extra Easter eggs in this fun easy recipe, a healthy protein packed snack ready in 7 days!
Make some pickled eggs (a great way to use up Easter eggs), they are a wholesome protein snack! As a matter of fact, I will be making a batch very soon with a little turmeric and some yellow chiles, for a twist on this classic recipe.
Why Use Fresh Jalapenos In This Pickled Egg Recipe?
- they add the spicy kick you are looking for
- the color looks great in your pickled egg jar
- the slices jalapeno sliced are tasty, and can be used on tacos, these awesome Tater Tot “Totchos” nachos!
More Homemade Quick Pickle Recipes:
- If you like pickled things, try these Refrigerator Pickled Green Beans, they are perfect for a Bloody Mary garnish or a healthy snack.
- Pretty pink Pickled Red Onions are made in under and learn different ways to use them! (they are awesome on grilled burgers and tacos)
- Make some Jalapeno Garlic Dill Refridgerator Pickles, they are easy and no canning required!
Spicy Pickled Eggs made homemade, but taste like a famous deli!
note: you will need a large 2 quart (8 cups) Mason jar with a clamp closure or tight-fitting lid
- 12 boiled eggs (cage free/organic)
- 4 cups distilled white vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, slightly crushed add extra if you wish!
- 5 jalapeños 1/4” slices
make the boiled eggs:
- Place 12 eggs in a large deep pan, cover the eggs with cold water. (TIP: Some people add a splash of vinegar or dash of baking soda to the water and say it helps them peel!) Bring to full boil, then turn off heat. Put a lid on your pot, and let rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove the boiled eggs into a bowl. Once the eggs are cool enough to handle, peel and rinse the eggs under cool water.
- Using a wooden toothpick, run it through the boiled eggs in a couple of directions (but don’t leave it in the egg), this allows the pickling liquid to flavor your eggs!
make the pickled eggs:
- Place all 12 eggs (once pierced with the toothpick), and place in a large clear clean clamp jar.
- Next, slice the fresh jalapenos into 1/4″ slices, set on top of boiled eggs in your jar.
- In a large saucepan, add the white vinegar, water, spices, and slightly smashed garlic cloves. Heat to just boiling, and then turn off heat.
Carefully pour the hot pickling liquid over the hard-boiled eggs and jalapeno slices. Wait for the liquid to cool, with the jar open for about one hour, then place in the refrigerator.
Wait about 7 days, and your Spicy Pickled Eggs are ready to eat!
- Keep these pickled eggs cold in the refrigerator, eat within a couple of weeks.