Make these Tater Tot Nachos "Totchos" with Pulled Pork and a creamy Tomatillo Sauce for relaxed weekends at home, parties, on game day, or even a simple dinner!
What are Totchos? Just nachos an American favorite appetizer we love and adore made with tater tots, now how good does that sound?
I first tried Totchos while traveling for a food conference in Salt Lake City Utah. I couldn't believe how good they sounded on the menu and ordered a plate to share with friends I was meeting at a restaurant.
Honestly, I ate the whole order before they arrived! And decided it is an easy comfort food dish that you guys would love to whip up on a cozy game day or heck, why can't this be dinner? It worked for me! So here is my version...
How To Make Totchos ~ Tater Tot Nachos
You Will Need
2 lb bag frozen tater tots
2 cups pepper jack cheese, grated
1 cup pulled pork shredded (see recipe below or sub shredded rotisserie chicken)
½ cup pickled jalapenos, drained
2-3 green onions, sliced
1 cup roasted tomatillo salsa (any brand)
1 cup sour cream
1 avocado, diced
1. preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Bake tater tots at 400 degrees on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 20 minutes, or until golden crispy.
3. Make tomatillo sauce; mix equal portions of sour cream and tomatillo salsa in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. On a sheet pan (or small cast iron pan) layer tater tots, grated pepper jack cheese, shredded pulled pork, and pickled jalapenos, and repeat layering until all the ingredients are used.
5. Reheat for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
6. Garnish with diced avocado and green onions, drizzle with tomatillo sauce. Serve warm.
Note: This recipe does not include the time to make pulled pork at home. Try my recipe for Pulled Pork Oven Low and Slow, it makes a lot so you can pop the extra in the freezer. By the way, did you know you can make pulled pork in the oven? It is easy, amazing, and one of my most popular recipes.
How To Make Pulled Pork In The Oven
Get the entire printable recipe: Pulled Pork Oven Low and Slow
2 lb pork loin
- In a large roasting pan, rub the dry rub over the pork loin.
- Place the pork loin uncovered with the fat layer facing up before roasting. (Optional: trim the fat layer if you wish, I do.)
- Now the pork won't be dry, it will look wet.
- Pre-heat your oven to 225 degrees. NOTE: This recipe was tested in a GAS OVEN. (If you have an electric oven, cook uncovered at 225 for 5 hours and an additional hour covered with a small amount of water on the bottom.) < This tip came from Suzy, one of our amazing readers! : ) Thank you again Suzy!
- Insert an oven-safe thermometer into the center or thickest part of the pork loin. Check the temperature throughout cooking, a wireless digital thermometer makes this really easy.
- Once the pork loin has reached 200 degrees, shut off the oven and let the pork loin roast cool for an hour before removing from the oven.
- In the roasting pan, shred and pull the Pulled Pork Oven Roasted meat with two forks working in opposite directions. Toss into the rub and drippings.
- You will need about 1 cup of rub for a 2 lb pork loin.
- Cooking Time: Calculate 2 ½ hours per pound of pork loin, or 5 hours for a 2 lb pork loin roast.
- Store extra pulled pork in zip-top bags in the freezer.
- Recipe Suggestions for leftover Pulled Pork: Cuban Pulled Pork Sliders, Pulled Pork Fried Rice, BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Slaw, Pulled Pork Philly Sandwich, Pulled Pork Tamales, Tacos or Quesadillas.
Weekends are made for this kind of food, spent relaxing with family and friends. We look forward to watching movies or games and munching away on food like this, after all, food really makes it special!
More Appetizer Recipes & Game Day Food
Delicious party food can be easily assembled with simple store-bought ingredients and ready in just minutes. Look below for some more ideas for quick, easy, fun appetizers for your next party!
Take a look at all of my game-day food recipes! 🏈⚾️🏟⚽️🏀
Whip up this Buffalo Chicken Appetizer made with tortilla chips, buffalo wing sauce, blue cheese, and crisp celery. It comes together in 20 minutes with just simple 6 ingredients. It takes a nod to hot wings, and is so easy!
French Onion Dip is classic party food, I also have a simple version for Onion Dip to try in a hurry with just two ingredients. If you are watching your calories, go for Buffalo Cauliflower! All the taste without the guilt and calories. And for a classic serve roasted Shrimp Cocktail with Cocktail Sauce you make in minutes, totally fresh and delish...
Tater Tot Nachos "Totchos"
- 2 lb tater tots frozen
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese grated
- 1 cup pulled pork (or sub shredded rotisserie chicken)
- ½ cup pickled jalapenos drained
- 1 cup roasted tomatillo salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2-3 green onions sliced
- 1 avocado diced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake tater tots on a parchment lined baking sheet for 20 minutes. Leave oven on.
- Make tomatillo sauce: mix equal portions of sour cream and tomatillo salsa in a small bowl. Set aside.
- On a sheet pan (or cast iron pan) layer tater tots, grated pepper jack cheese, shredded pulled pork, and pickled jalapenos and repeat layering until all the ingredients are used.
- Reheat for 5 minutes to melt the cheese in the oven at 400 degrees.
- Garnish with diced avocado and green onions, drizzle with tomatillo sauce.