Last Updated July 5th, 2021 at 08:04 am by Lisa
Make these Tater Tot Nachos "Totchos" with Pulled Pork and a creamy Tomatillo Sauce for relaxed weekends at home, parties, on game day, or even a simple dinner!
What are Totchos? Just nachos we love and adore made with tater tots, now how good does that sound?
I first had Totchos while traveling for a food conference in Salt Lake City Utah. I couldn't believe how good they sounded on the menu and ordered a plate to share with friends I was meeting at a restaurant.
Honestly, I ate the whole order before they arrived! And decided it is an easy comfort food dish that you guys would love to whip up on a cozy game day or heck, why can't this be dinner? (It worked for me!) So here is my version...
How To Make Tater "Totchos":
Ingredients you will need:
2 lb bag frozen tater tots
2 cups pepper jack cheese, grated
1 cup pulled pork, shredded (or sub shredded rotisserie chicken)
½ cup pickled jalapenos, drained
2-3 green onions, sliced
1 cup roasted tomatillo salsa (any brand)
1 cup sour cream
1 avocado, diced
Instructions to make your Tater Totchos:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Bake tater tots at 400 degrees on a parchment lined baking sheet for 20 minutes, or until golden crispy.
3. Make tomatillo sauce; mix equal portions of sour cream and tomatillo salsa in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. On a sheet pan (or small cast iron pan) layer tater tots, grated pepper jack cheese, shredded pulled pork, and pickled jalapenos, and repeat layering until all the ingredients are used.
5. Reheat for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
6. Garnish with diced avocado and green onions, drizzle with tomatillo sauce. Serve warm.
Note: This recipe does not include the time to make pulled pork at home. Try my recipe for Pulled Pork Oven Low and Slow, it makes a lot so you can pop the extra in the freezer. By the way, did you know you can make pulled pork in the oven? It is easy, amazing and one of my most popular recipes!
First, How To Make Pulled Pork In The Oven!
Get the entire printable recipe: Pulled Pork Oven Low and Slow
2 lb pork loin
- In a large roasting pan, rub the dry rub over the pork loin.
- Place the pork loin uncovered with the fat layer facing up before roasting. (Optional: trim the fat layer if you wish, I do.)
- Now the pork won't be dry, it will look wet.
- Pre-heat your oven to 225 degrees. NOTE: This recipe was tested in a GAS OVEN. (If you have an electric oven, cook uncovered at 225 for 5 hours and an additional hour covered with a small amount of water on the bottom.) < This tip came from Suzy, one of our amazing readers! : ) Thank you again Suzy!
- Insert an oven-safe thermometer into the center or thickest part of the pork loin. Check the temperature throughout cooking, a wireless digital thermometer makes this really easy.
- Once the pork loin has reached 200 degrees, shut off the oven and let the pork loin roast cool for an hour before removing from the oven.
- In the roasting pan, shred and pull the Pulled Pork Oven Roasted meat with two forks working in opposite directions. Toss into the rub and drippings.
- Optional: Toss in your favorite BBQ sauce.Recipe Notes
You will need about 1 cup of rub for a 2 lb pork loin.
Cooking Time: Calculate 2 ½ hours per pound of pork loin, or 5 hours for a 2 lb pork loin roast.
Store extra pulled pork in ziptop bags in the freezer.
Recipe Suggestions for Pulled Pork: Cuban Pulled Pork Sliders, Pulled Pork Fried Rice, BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Slaw, Pulled Pork Philly Sandwich, Pulled Pork Tamales or Tacos.
Weekends are made for this kind of food, spent relaxing with family and friends. We look forward to watching movies or games and munching away on food like this, after all food really makes it special!
For some more weekend recipe inspiration, try one of these...you will be glad you did!
These Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Dinners will have your friends and family serving seconds at your party: Cuban Sofrito Flank Steak Bowls, Chicken Salsa Verde Tamales, or Easy Chicken Enchiladas Salsa Verde.
Cold days call for Warm Cozy Comfort Food Sandwiches! Make Cheesy Meatball Sub Sandwiches, a French Cafe Grilled Cheese Sandwich or my Award-Winning Lobster BLT (took a blue ribbon at the Fair), or these Cuban Pulled Pork Sliders which are perfect for lunch or dinner.
All The Best Dishes,
Tater Tot Nachos "Totchos" with Pulled Pork and Tomatillo Sauce
- 2 lb tater tots frozen
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese grated
- 1 cup pulled pork (or sub shredded rotisserie chicken)
- ½ cup pickled jalapenos drained
- 1 cup roasted tomatillo salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2-3 green onions sliced
- 1 avocado diced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake tater tots on a parchment lined baking sheet for 20 minutes. Leave oven on.
- Make tomatillo sauce: mix equal portions of sour cream and tomatillo salsa in a small bowl. Set aside.
- On a sheet pan (or cast iron pan) layer tater tots, grated pepper jack cheese, shredded pulled pork, and pickled jalapenos and repeat layering until all the ingredients are used.
- Reheat for 5 minutes to melt the cheese in the oven at 400 degrees.
- Garnish with diced avocado and green onions, drizzle with tomatillo sauce.