Last Updated June 18th, 2019 at 05:16 pm by Lisa
The BEST Macaroni Pasta Salad – Dot’s Original Family Recipe with chopped pickles and pickle juice in this favorite old-fashioned recipe loved by all!
The chopped pickles and pickle juice make it super tangy and tasty…
The Origins of Macaroni Pasta Salad
This recipe comes from my Mother in Law, Mrs. Torres. Some call her Dorothy, or “Dot”, but to me, she is Mrs. Torres. This is a family recipe passed down by her Mom, and I make it just like she taught me.
When we serve this to friends and family, people fill up their plates chuckling at themselves, can’t stop eating it, and go back for seconds and I have seen thirds happen.
Tips for Making Macaroni Pasta Salad
Boiling Eggs Tips for Macaroni Pasta Salad
Do you hate boiling eggs and then peeling them? Well, have I got a tip for you that I got from a food friend of mine.
Thanks to my friend Carol Borchardt, a personal chef, newspaper columnist, and recipe developer From A Chef’s Kitchen. She has an amazing, beautiful blog full of delicious recipes and gorgeous photography. Go take a peek, you will love it!
Egg Boiling Tip:
Place the eggs in boiling water, and by the way, the water doesn’t even have to cover the eggs. I never knew either but now we both know.
Boil eggs for 14 minutes, then remove and place in a large bowl of ice water. Then crack the shells, and peel under water. The shells come right off, what a time saver. Now it is fun to peel eggs. Finally.
You’re welcome… I knew you would love this one. : ) Thanks again Carol!
Mason Jar Egg Peeling Tip:
Simply place a cool egg in a mason jar, place the lid on or cover with your hand and shake for a few seconds. It only works one egg at a time, trust me I tried! It is so much faster than peeling them the old-fashioned way!
Serving Macaroni Pasta Salad:
Keep this salad cold and or chilled as it has mayonnaise in the ingredients.
You can place it in a bowl of ice, ice packs during a party, or take from the fridge right before serving.
Picnic and Cooler Tip:
Pack macaroni pasta salad in inexpensive (order online) take out boxes for picnics.
Make a big bowl of macaroni pasta salad, and watch it disappear at your next party!
All the Best Dishes,
More Picnic Food Ideas:
Macaroni Pasta Salad – Dot’s Original Family Recipe
- 1 bag Anthony’s Short Salad Pasta (16 oz/1 lb.)
- 6 hard-boiled eggs chopped
- 3 cups celery diced
- 2 cups green onions sliced
- 2 cups picked juice from dill pickles
- 2 cups dill pickles chopped
- 1 large can black sliced olives
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Boil and peel eggs (see notes)
- Boil the pasta, drain.
- While the pasta is boiling, chop finely: celery, green onions, dill pickles, and peeled eggs.
- In a large bowl, mix all chopped ingredients into the warm pasta: celery, green onions, chopped pickles, pickle juice, chopped eggs, black olives, mayonnaise, yellow mustard, sea salt, pepper, and chill for several hours or overnight. The warm pasta will absorb the pickle juice as it sits in the fridge, that is what makes it so good!
- optional: Dot slices a couple eggs and places them on top with sprinkles of paprika on top to make it pretty!
- Serve in inexpensive paper Chinese takeout containers (order online), great for picnics and parties.