Last Updated January 20th, 2021 at 01:44 pm by Lisa
Spring garden crostini with edible flowers and herbs is a spectacular easy appetizer, perfect for a tea, garden party, wedding shower, or ladies luncheon.
The baguette slices are brushed with good olive oil, and grilled until the bread has a golden crisp crunch. Each bite of crostini with the cream cheese herb topping is perfectly crisp, pretty, and delightful!
What is Crostini?
Crostini Defined: (noun) small pieces of toasted or fried bread served with a topping as an appetizer or canapé.
How To Pronounce Crostini?
What is Grilled Crostini?
Step One: Slice the Baguette Diagonally, Brush with olive oil on both sides
Step Two: 3 Ways To Make Crostini Toasts:
1 - On an Outdoor Grill, toast for 15 to 20 seconds on each side, until nicely marked, then remove with tongs and set aside.
2 - Broil, adjust the rack so the slices are 2 inches from the flame and turn when the crostini starts to blacken at the edges.
3 - Heat your indoor grill pan and flip over with tongs after 30-60 seconds once browned and grill-marked.
Grill marks look great, but it's more important to get a nice toast on the bread. The herb spread will cover the bread, so don't be too concerned if they aren't all perfect.
CAN YOU MAKE CROSTINI TOASTS AHEAD OF TIME?
To make the crostini toasts ahead of time, grill them, and cool completely to room temperature. Store in airtight containers up to two days on the counter. You may need to re-crisp the crostini in the oven on a sheet pan for a few minutes, to remove any moisture.
Step Three: Prepare Crostini Cream Cheese Herb Topping
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese softened
¼ teaspoon celery salt (or make your own homemade Celery Salt)
2 finely minced tablespoons each: parsley, basil, dill, chives
In a bowl, stir softened cream cheese, celery salt, and herbs.
The topping can be made up to a day ahead, covered, and refrigerated.
Spread Cream Cheese Herb Topping on each slice of bread.
Garnish with edible flowers, mint, and dill or any herbs you like from your garden or farmers market!
Tip: Use a hand mixer to soften the cream cheese quickly, otherwise rest the block in a bowl on the counter for an hour to soften. It will be easier to mix in the herbs and celery salt.
The measuring spoons below were my Mom's. I love to cook with her things, and She would be so proud that I share her passion of cooking as she taught cooking classes for many years.
I often wonder what she would think of my cooking and this website. Pretty sure she would love it and probably talk to her friends about it until they were bored and rolling their eyeballs! (She loved to brag about her children, can you relate?)
Cream Cheese Herb Topping can be made a day ahead, covered, and refrigerated. Just pull it out of the fridge an hour or so before you want to use it, so it spreads easier.
Now, Let's Talk About Edible Flowers:
You can pick flowers from your garden, just be sure that they are organic, pesticide-free, and safe to eat as an edible flower.
See the links and the list below. Hey, you don't have to eat them, but they sure do make a beautiful statement!
Where To Order Edible Flowers:
Edible flowers can be ordered through the produce department of your local grocery store, ordered online, or through Costco.
I ordered edible flowers through Costco. It is a large box and costs $39.99. Also see my post on how to make a DIY Garden Party Flower Ice Bucket to chill wine, champagne, or any large bottle and is be perfect to use the extra flowers from this recipe. So easy and SO cute!
Common Edible Flower List and Resources:
Crostini: Spring Garden Edible Flowers + Herbs
- 1 baguette
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8 oz. package of cream cheese softened
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons each finely minced: parsley basil, dill, chives
- 1 box edible flowers
- ¼ cup mint and dill pieces to garnish small pieces
- Slice 1 baguette diagonally with a serrated bread knife. Brush each slice with olive oil on both sides.
- Choose your grill method for the Baguette Slices: On a outdoor grill, toast for 15 to 20 seconds on each side, until nicely marked, then remove with tongs and set aside OR Oven Broil, adjust the rack so the slices are 2 inches from the flame and turn when the crostini starts to blacken at the edges OR Heat your indoor grill pan and flip over after 30-60 seconds once browned and grill-marked. Cool the bread on a tray before assembling.
- Prepare Crostini Herb Spread: In a bowl , stir softened cream cheese, celery salt and herbs.The topping can be made up to a day ahead, covered, and refrigerated.
- Spread Cream Cheese Herb Topping on each slice of cooled bread.
- Garnish with edible flowers, mint, and dill or anything you like from your garden or farmers market (just be sure they are organic)!
Try mint and dill with the edible flowers for fresh spring garden flavor!
All The Best Dishes,
Garden Frozen Floral Ice Buckets are perfect for an outdoor garden party, wedding shower, or lunch in the garden!