Last Updated October 2nd, 2021 at 02:16 pm by Lisa
Make an Oreo ice cream cake for dessert this summer. It has an incredible red velvet cookie crust, layers of ice cream, pound cake, caramel, chocolate sauce, whip cream, and fun sprinkles.
For years, I have made this recipe in a 9 x 11 glass pan, and that is fine and works really well.
But don't you think the "cake shape" and patriotic spirit is adorable and one of the best 4th of July Desserts? Honestly, I make this year-round and have friends and family who adore it...
Ice Cream Cake Tips
My Top Tip...
Keep placing the pan back in the freezer as you work through the layers. This helps freeze the cake faster as the pan is quite cold.
Can I Use A Glass 9 x 11 pan for this recipe?
Yes, for years I made this dessert in a 9 x 11 glass casserole dish. dishes For some reason, I thought why not try to make try a large springform pan shaped like a traditional baked cake? And it works!
Will The Springform Pan leak?
The one I bought, has a very sturdy base and is only a tiny bit dripped out. You can easily wipe off any excess drips with a damp paper towel.
A springform pan works for cheesecakes, and are round cake pans with a bottom that pops out, held by a locking collar forming the sides and keeping liquid from dripping out.
Do I Need To Line The Springform Pan?
No. You will want to freeze the cake overnight, and it will pop right out of the ring easily once rock solid.
Let's Make It!
Ice Cream Cake needs to be kept in the freezer in a container. If you buy one, keep it in the box. Homemade recipes can be kept in the dish or pan you make it in, and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
One of the best easy "frostings" is a whip topping product. It spreads so well and holds sprinkles and other decorations. It will firm up in the freezer somewhat which makes it easier to cover and kept frozen.
It will keep well up to 2-3 weeks in the freezer. Be sure to wrap it well or place it in an airtight container.
Where Did You Find The Patriotic Sprinkles?
More Frozen Desserts
These red, white, and blue Fourth of July cold desserts will make your party one to remember, and cool down your guests!
Ice Cream Cake Recipe
red velvet oreo crust
- 1 package red velvet Oreos, crushed or regular ones
- ½ cup salted butter (1 stick melted butter)
ice cream cake
- 12 oz container real vanilla bean ice cream
- 12 oz pound cake
- 12 oz chocolate sauce (Hersheys)
- 15 oz caramel sauce
ice cream cake "frosting"
- 24 oz Cool Whip 2 12 oz containers!
- 1 jar Patriotic 4th sprinkles
- Make room in the freezer for a round springform pan (or 9 x 13 glass dish).
- Meanwhile, take the ice cream out of the freezer to soften for 2 hours.
make the oreo crust
- Melt a stick of butter in microwave in a small bowl.
- Crush red Oreos in a zip lock bag, roll with rolling pin. In a small bowl, mix crushed Oreos with melted butter.
- Press crushed Oreo butter mixture into the springform pan (or 9 x 13 glass dish) use the bottom/side of measuring cup. Chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.
assemble the ice cream cake
- Cut brown sides off pound cake, and slice into small ½-1” pieces.
- Take pan out of the freezer, and place pound cake pieces in the bottom, spread evenly.
- Pour/spread ½ container of melted ice cream (reserve ½ container soft vanilla ice cream) all over the top of red Oreo crust and smooth with a small spatula.
- Drizzle about ½ of each container of chocolate sauce and caramel sauce all over the melted ice cream. Don't add too much chocolate sauce or it is TOO sweet! Pour the other ½ of melted vanilla ice cream on top and smooth evenly.
decorate the ice cream cake
- Refreeze overnight, then remove the springform pan ring by unlocking the clamp. Leave the ice cream cake on the spring form pan plate. Decorate with Cool Whip using a small offset spatula, sprinkle with patriotic sprinkles on sides and top.
- Rereeze the cake an hour or so, then carefully cover with clear plastic wrap until ready to eat. Enjoy, this is a beloved family favorite turned patriotic!