Last Updated April 10th, 2019 at 08:08 pm by Lisa
This recipe is sponsored by the good people at Melissa’s Produce. They were kind enough to send a box of Keitt Mangos to create this recipe. Thanks again Melissa’s for sponsoring this post with your fantastic fresh produce, and these gorgeous 2 lb mangos.
Mango Jicama Slaw with sweet juicy Keitt Mangos, crunchy jicama, crisp green cabbage, and a sweet tangy mango-lime vinaigrette is a perfect clean side dish!
Slaw…Mango Jicama Slaw….with a Mango Lime Vinaigrette Dressing has a fresh clean crunch from the jicama and green cabbage with a sweet and tangy kick from the mango-lime vinaigrette.
Disclosure: Melissa’s Produce provided me with a box of produce as part of the Monthly Food Blogger Event. I was not compensated monetarily for my review. As always, all opinions are mine.
Mango Jicama Slaw + Mango-Lime Vinaigrette
Lime Mango Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup diced Keitt Mango
- 2 limes zested and juiced
- 1/2 orange juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Hatch Chile Powder Hot or cayenne or crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
Mango Jicama Slaw:
- 2 cups diced Keitt Mangos
- 1/2 green cabbage sliced thin about 6 cups
- 1/4 Jicama peeled and grated (about 3 cups)
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a blender or food processor, mix until smooth: mango, lime, lime zest, orange juice, honey, ginger, olive oil, salt, pepper, and hot hatch chile powder (or substitute cayenne).
- Keep in a small mason jar in the fridge for up to a week.
- Chop 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro, stir into dressing. (If you blend in the cilantro, it turns the dressing green, and not orange!)
Mango Jicama Slaw:
- Peel and grate 1/4 of a jicama. Grate in a Cuisinart or a box grater.
- Use a mango cutter, and dice mango into small diced cubes.
- Slice or grate 1/2 green cabbage. Grate in a a Cuisinart, box grater.
- In a large bowl, toss green cabbage, jicama, and mango.
- Pour dressing, and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Mango Jicama Slaw Ingredients:
Beautiful Keitt Mangos can be used to in so many ways. Add slices to salads, use in mango pineapple salsas, smoothies, sorbets, sauces, and fish dishes. Mangos are always a great snack!
A Keitt Mango a large-sized mango, and they are fully ripe when green. You can tell they are ripe when the Keitt mango is soft when pressed slightly. Keitt Mangos are left on the tree longer than other varieties, producing a very sweet fruit. They are also less fibrous than most mango varieties, and Keitt Mangos have a creamier texture which is perfect for a slaw salad.
Choose mangos that are firm, have unblemished skin, and a fresh scent. Since mangos are usually sold firm, leave at room temperature for a few days on the kitchen counter to soften until yielding to gentle pressure. Refrigerate once ripe for up to a week or more.
How to Cut a Mango
Wash with cool water and a quick spray of vinegar. Peel and cut fruit away from the flat seed in the center.
Try using a mango splitter, the one I use is from OXO. It works so well, and did a fabulous job on this extra-large 2 lb mango!
Cut a small slice off the stem end so it sits stable, press down, and that is it…you discard (or compost) the seed in the center with one simple press.
Sharp stainless steel blades slice cleanly through the mango and leave almost nothing behind on the large flat seed.
Each side piece of the mango is the part you want to use for recipes or snacking.
Next, use a butter knife, and slice into a grid through each mango half.
Then turn the half inside out and scoop the diced mango pieces into a bowl with your fingers or a large spoon.
Now that was easy, wasn’t it?
Mangos always remind me of tropical islands, warm balmy beaches, and a relaxing on vacation! This Mango Jicama Slaw with sweet juicy Keitt Mangos takes me straight to an “island” state of mind, which is a really good thing in my book.
Enjoy this Mango Jicama Slaw served with grilled fish, as a side dish with pineapple shrimp skewers, or along with a pulled pork sandwich. This Mango Jicama Slaw would be great on fish tacos!
The crunchy jicama and green cabbage balance well with the sweet tangy mango-lime vinaigrette. Enjoy this perfect clean side dish, guilt free my friends.
All the Best,
Another summer salad to try is this Light Healthy Apple Broccoli Grape Salad…
If you love this fresh summer recipe…try my recipe for Grilled Corn – Mexican Chile Lime Elotes…