Chocolate Bunny Cupcakes are an easy Easter dessert. Top baked cupcakes with buttercream frosting, you can use chocolate buttercream or vanilla buttercream, sprinkles, and chocolate bunnies. Nothing could be easier, and it's all at the grocery store!
You can either use store-bought ingredients like cake mix or bake homemade cupcakes, either way, is there anything cuter than those chocolate bunny ears...
- Everything you need is at the store, simple ingredients-no fuss.
- Great for kids, even the little ones can help you bake/assemble them.
- These can be NO-BAKE: Assemble with premade unfrosted cupcakes and frosting at your local grocery store, just ask in the bakery!
- You can bake these in little cupcake flower pots that are meant for baking or use paper liners.
How fun to put these Easter treats out for a buffet or have one at each place setting at the table for Easter Dinner.
What You Need
12 baked vanilla cupcakes
1 cup salted butter (2 sticks, room temperature butter)
½ cup vegetable shortening
5 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
2 tablespoons hot water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract
Decorations: Wilton terra cotta flower pot shaped Silicone baking cups-not sure these are still made, so you can use cute flower cupcake papers, green grass egg sprinkles, and small chocolate Easter bunnies (Hershey's)
- Bake cupcake batter according to box directions or buy plain vanilla cupcakes from the store bakery.
- Make vanilla buttercream frosting.
- Use a small offset spatula, butter knife, or pipe on cupcakes using a pastry bag.
- Pour green "grass" sprinkles into a small dish, and dip and roll the top of the cupcake to coat with sprinkles.
- Push a milk chocolate bunny down into the cupcake and you are done!
Chocolate Buttercream Or White Frosting
You can use either of these frosting recipes for your cupcakes.
You can decorate with so many sweet treats and ingredients, here are some great ways to make adorable Easter cupcakes:
-Color shredded coconut pink, blue, green, yellow, etc. for decorating. Put coconut in a small baggie with a drop or two of coloring and toss until coconut is colored.
-Frost with green icing and top with a cluster of chocolate eggs
-Add some buttercream and press a peanut butter egg on top
-Make marshmallow bunny ears. Snip large marshmallows with kitchen scissors to look like bunny ears.
-Decorate marshmallow bunny ears with pink sugar and small balls of marshmallow for the nose.
-Use thin black licorice for whiskers and two mini white jelly beans for bunny teeth.
-Order edible eyes to use on your cupcakes.
-Color regular sugar by putting it in a zip-top bag with a drop or two of food coloring, close, and mix around until you get the color you want
-Melt candy melts in different colors and pipe on decorations.
-Use green buttercream frosting with Ateco's 259 Tip "grass tip" and create a grassy cupcake top then add jelly beans or eggs.
-Shape mini birds nets from rice crispy treats, and nestle little chocolate eggs inside.
More Easter Dessert Ideas
What an adorable Easter bunny cake, it is made from two round cakes, vanilla frosting, and decorated with candy...
Some of my favorite easy Easter desserts are these Easter Cookies with a classic sugar cookie dough drizzled with an easy buttercream vanilla icing and lots of cute sprinkles. Or this adorable Easter Bunny Cake, which is made from two 9" round cakes.
Chocolate Easter Bunny Cupcakes
Chocolate Bunny Cupcakes
- 1 dozen baked vanilla cupcakes homemade or storebought
- 12 Hershey's Easter Milk Chocolate Bunnies
- ¼ cup Green grass sprinkles
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup salted butter (2 sticks, room temperature butter)
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 5 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Bake or No-bake- your choice! Assemble with pre-made unfrosted cupcakes, you can use any flavor vanilla or chocolate cupcakes work. And see if frosting at your local grocery store bakery, just ask in the bakery.
Make Buttercream Frosting
- Beat soft butter and shortening in an electric mixer on high speed with the whisk attachment until creamy for 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. At low speed, add powder sugar 1 cup at a time until smooth into the mixing bowl. On high speed, mix in vanilla, almond extract, and hot water for 5 minutes until fluffy and smooth.
Decorate The Bunnies
- Use a small offset spatula to frost each cupcake, or pipe on cupcakes using a pastry bag.
- Pour green "grass" sprinkles in a small dish, and dip and roll the top of the cupcake to coat with sprinkles.
- Push the tip of a knife into the cupcake, push a milk chocolate bunny down into the center of the cupcake and you are done!