Last Updated September 15th, 2023 at 10:12 am by Lisa
Years and years ago, I had so many leftovers. I asked my Dad, "What am I going to do with all this food?" And he wisely said, "Well why don't you make a turkey shepherd's pie?"
At first, it sounded weird, but then I thought hey that is a good idea. So I made one. Dad, this recipe is all yours, I give you full credit.
As a matter of fact, it is a yearly tradition and a great freezer meal. Bake it up all golden and bubbly on a cold evening. This is fast comfort food to love...
These are the turkey leftovers and fixings I had from Thanksgiving that went into this recipe...
Why Everyone Will Love It
- Well, what is a better reason than, it uses your leftovers?
- Everyone loves comfort food.
- No prep with this recipe, just layer leftovers and bake.
- The sweet and savory layers just work. Trust me. And yes, even the cranberry sauce.
- You will have a casserole in the freezer ready to go, with ZERO dinner prep!
- Each bite is different. I put mashed potatoes on the top but you could even do Mac and Cheese or scalloped potatoes top. I mean why not?
- No wasted leftovers, and they taste even better after a day or two.
Thanksgiving Leftovers To Use Up...
- Dressing or Stuffing
- Turkey Try my easy Turkey Breast, Spatchcock Turkey, or Roast Turkey with a Dry Brine recipe!
- Cranberry Sauce
- Cranberry Relish
- Sweet Potato Casserole with marshmallow topping
- Ruth's Chris Steak House Sweet Potato Casserole
- Mashed Potatoes
More Thanksgiving Leftover Recipes
Mix it up and try different things for your Thanksgiving leftover casserole. Use what you have and what you made for the holidays. There really are no rules, you can layer so many different things in this shepherd's pie.
Mashed potatoes are classic, but why not top with Mac and Cheese with a sprinkle of buttered breadcrumbs or panko? Or, try potato au gratin or scalloped potatoes, and sprinkle with cheese.
You can layer roasted veggies, sprinkle fried corn or add some green bean casserole. Even if you don't have enough mashed potatoes to cover the top, just dollop them on and criss-cross with a fork for a beautiful pattern.
- Roasted Butternut Squash or Acorn Squash
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes or Carrots
- Green Bean Casserole
- Potato Au Gratin
- Roasted Potatoes
- Cut Corn
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Crumbled Cornbread
- Mac and Cheese
Turkey Shepherds Pie Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
For LAYER 1 Put stuffing in the bottom of the dish, which is about 2 cups.
Next LAYER 2 Lay down 2 cups of leftover turkey pieces.
On LAYER 3 Drizzle ½ cup gravy over the turkey.
And then LAYER 4 Spoon ¼ cup of cranberry sauce all over.
LAYER 5 Now dollop spoonfuls of sweet potato casserole all over the casserole.
Finally LAYER 6 Place large spoonfuls of mashed potatoes on top, and press down with a fork. Dip the for in water to make a criss-cross pattern.
Bake 45 minutes until mashed potatoes are turning golden brown and the casserole is heated all the way through. Serve hot.
More Turkey Dinner Holiday & Christmas Recipes
Here are some other great recipes for the holidays, Thanksgiving, or Christmas. Make these Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes with 5 Ways to Reheat them for your holiday party. And one of them is in your slow cooker with cream and melted butter!
Sausage Dressing is the BEST holiday side also known as sausage stuffing, it has the best rich flavors! You can use hot and/or mild Italian sausage, cornbread, crunchy celery, soft French bread, sweet dried cherries, and tart dried cranberries. This dish takes traditional stuffing to a whole new level!
A festive, easy, Christmas Tree Salad with a Cranberry Vinaigrette (made in a Mason jar) will be the talk of your holiday party. Shape this salad like a Christmas tree and decorate it with "garland, ornaments, and snow".
More Thanksgiving Recipes
Make a Cranberry Orange Relish, and delight your friends and family. It has a light fresh taste, a little bit of a crunch, and less sugar than a traditional cranberry sauce.
Dinner Rolls is a pull-apart bread, people go crazy for these decorated with cheese and herbs are a party hit every time.
This tropical Pineapple Orange Cranberry Sauce will be a great addition to take or serve at your holiday feast. It is made in a food processor in minutes, and so clean and refreshing with rich holiday dishes!
Turkey Leftover Recipe: Empanadas
Wondering what to do with your Thanksgiving leftovers? Make Turkey Empanadas also know as hand pies.
Turkey Leftover Recipe: Shepherd's Pie
- 2 cups stuffing
- 2 cups turkey
- ½ cup gravy
- ¼ cup cranberry sauce
- 2 cups sweet potato casserole
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Layer 1: Place stuffing in the bottom of the dish, which is about 2 cups.
- Layer 2: Next, lay 2 cups of leftover turkey pieces.
- Layer 3: Now drizzle ½ cup gravy over the turkey.
- Layer 4: Then spoon ¼ cup of cranberry sauce all over.
- Layer 5: Now dollup spoonfuls of sweet potato casserole all over the casserole.
- Layer 6: Place large spoonfuls of mashed potatoes on top, and press down with a fork. Dip the for in water to make a criss cross pattern.
- Bake 45 minutes until mashed potatoes are turning golden brown and the casserole is heated all the way through. Serve hot.