Last Updated December 3rd, 2020 at 03:03 pm by Lisa
Make your own Cajun seasoning mix with a simple spice mix. Use on shrimp, oven fries, or in recipes for jambalaya, and classic gumbo.
Why make your own seasonings? Well, you know what is in them! And can control salt and other spices that are hot or not to your taste.
Another good reason is to use spices in a new creative way in your dishes. There are endless ways to use a Cajun spice mix in your cooking...
Links in this post are Amazon Affiliate Links to products I use and love.
What Is Cajun Seasoning?
How To Store Spices and Seasonings:
An inexpensive way to store any homemade spice mix (like this cajun spice mix) is to use a small glass canning jar.
I have collected vintage canning jars for years, I love and cherish each one. You can find them online on Etsy, eBay, thrift stores, antique shops, and vintage flea markets in your town.
Add a paper tag and some string to give as a gift, and you could include some of your favorite Cajun recipes!
Well just about everything! Try Cajun seasoning as an all-around seasoning blend on grilled chicken, oven fries, it is great on shrimp, steaks, pork, corn on the cob, roasted veggies, and classics like gumbo, maque choux, shrimp po- boys, shrimp etouffee, and jambalaya. You can even sprinkle it on popcorn, make cajun deviled eggs, or create Cajun dips and sauces.
What Is Classic Cajun Seasoning Made Of?
garlic powder, onion powder, salt, smoked paprika, black pepper, oregano, thyme, and cayenne.
optional spices: dry mustard, parsley, crushed red pepper, white pepper, celery seed, chipotle pepper, cumin, dried red or green bell pepper.
More Cajun Seasoning Recipes:
- Easy Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
- Bloody Marys (glass the rim!)
- Michelada (glass the rim!)
- Cajun Summer Vegetables
- Grilled Cajun Steak
- Crispy Cajun Oven Baked Fries
- Cajun Spice Mix
- Cajun Seasoning
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning Blend
Take a look at all of my spice and seasoning recipe ideas to up your cooking game!
My Recipes Using Cajun Seasoning:
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon white pepper optional
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- Mix all the spices together in a bowl.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months, small glass jars work well or airtight containers.