25+ Amazing New Mexico Hatch Chile Recipes and How To Roast, Prep, and Freeze them at home. Hatch Chile season tips for roasting events near you, and more.
Prep For Roasting Hatch Chiles
How To Grlll/Roast Hatch Chiles
Heat your grill on medium high, place your stainless grill tray over the burner. It isn't necessary, you can grill the chiles right on the grill grate but helps to roast them more evenly.
Space the Hatch chiles in a single layer, and turn using long tongs until black char blisters form on each side of the chiles.
How To Process Grilled Hatch Chiles
Transfer roasted chiles to a platter to cool. Some people place in a bag or other container that you can close - you want them to sweat. Mine peel just fine without this step.
Allow the chiles to cool, then cut the stem end off first. Next, on a cutting board pull all the tough outer skin of the chiles off. Use a small waste bowl to discard the seeds, stems, and skin.
Dice the clean Hatch Chiles into a small dice, and either use in your recipe or seal in an airtight freezer safe bag in the freezer - see below for more storage tips.
How To Pick The Best Fresh Hatch Chiles:
- choose bright green hatch chiles
- the skin of the hatch chile should be glossy
- pick firm hatch chiles with medium to thick flesh
- avoid chiles with soft spots or cuts
How To Store Hatch Chiles Prior To Roasting:
- Refrigerate, unwashed in a plastic bag for up to 5 days
How To Store Freeze Hatch Chiles Prior After Roasting:
- FoodSaver Bags: Dice the roasted Hatch Chiles, and store in airtight bags. FoodSaver bags are ideal, as you want to keep as much air out of the bag as possible because the chiles get mushy if ice crystals form on them. Good for up to 12-18 month in the freezer.
- Zip-Top Bags: Alternatively, use a small zip-top bag, and press all the air out before sealing and freezing. Good for up to 4-6 month in the freezer.
How To Stuff Hatch Chiles:
If you plan to stuff your Hatch chiles, leave the stem on, and cut a slit to remove the seeds or leave them in for extra heat.
Calories: 7kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 60mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 180IU | Vitamin C: 27.1mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 0.2mg