Skinny Turkey Veggie Meatballs and Sauce
OVEN BAKED (not fried) Skinny Turkey Veggie Meatballs and Sauce are light and healthy homemade meatballs.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time52 mins
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
make the turkey meatballs
- 6 celery stalks 2 cups roughly chopped
- 6 carrots 2 cups roughly chopped
- 1 yellow medium onion 2 cups roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped basil
- 3 lbs. lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (or sub ground almonds)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
make the sauce
- 1/2 veggie mixture
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 6 oz small can tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 16 ounces uncooked spaghetti
Make the meatballs:
Pulse roughly chopped veggies in batches in Cuisinart or grate on box grater: 1 yellow onion, 6 carrots, 6 celery stalks. Remove finely diced veggies and process the next and place in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup finely chopped basil, 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley. Mix until well combined.
Heat large pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute the veggies for 3 minutes on medium-high heat and turn off the heat. Take out 1/2 veggie mixture and place back in the large bowl.
In that large mixing bowl, take 1/2 sautéed and cooled veggie mixture above and mix with 3 lbs ground turkey (or for not as skinny use ground beef, hot Italian pork sausage etc), 1 cup breadcrumbs (or ground almonds) and 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Stir or completely, mix with 2 forks to "fluff".
Wrap a large metal sheet pan in heavy duty foil. This makes cleanup easier.
Use a 2" ice-cream scoop onto sheet pan lined with parchment or foil and scoop Skinny Turkey Veggie Meatballs onto the sheet pan. Check halfway while in the oven, if any extra liquid collects on the pan, you can pour that off the pan and continue to bake the meatballs.
Bake 400 degrees 25-30 minutes until golden brown with crispy edges.
Make the sauce:
In a saute pan mix other 1/2 veggie mixture left in the pan, 1 large can of diced tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 small can tomato paste. Stir and simmer for 20 minutes.
Cook Spaghetti Noodles per package Instructions.
Ladle Sauce on hot noodles, place 2-4 meatballs on spaghetti noodles, top with parmesan cheese.
This recipe makes 40 meatballs, from a 2" ice cream scoop.
- Freeze extra skinny turkey veggie meatballs on sheet pans either cooked or uncooked and place in zip bags or use a Food Saver vacuum sealer for fast easy future meals.
- The pasta sauce freezes very well, to reheat add frozen sauce to a pan with a small amount of water and reheat until hot.
Calories: 431kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 79mg | Sodium: 571mg | Potassium: 830mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 10665IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 3mg