French Onion Dip Recipe
French onion dip is an easy appetizer with caramelized onions and fresh ingredients. This party appetizer tastes even better if made ahead!
- 1 bag ruffled potato chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups large diced onions 2 onions: yellow, brown, or sweet vidalia
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups sour cream 16 oz container
- optional garnish: fresh chives/green onions
Melt butter, in a large pan over medium-high heat.
Add the onions, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
Reduce heat to low and cook for 25-40 minutes until golden brown and caramelized. The onions will shrink alot as they cook. Stir every 5-10 minutes, and once caramelized remove from stove and allow to cool.
In a bowl, mix caramelized onions, Worcestershire sauce, and 2 cups sour cream. Mix well in a bowl, chill in the fridge. Can be made a couple of days ahead.
Serve with potato chips, garnish with fresh chives.
make ahead tip:
You can make this dip a couple of days ahead, keep it chilled in the fridge, it will taste even better! Give a stir right before serving.
Melt into mashed potatoes.
Use with hamburger stroganoff with lots of mushrooms.
Top on a baked potato.
Mix into a potato gratin.
Stir in a little grated horseradish and serve with roast beef, pork, or pot roast
Spread a thin coating on boneless chicken breasts, dip in panko/bread crumbs and bake.
Use in pasta, rice, or vegetable casseroles.
caramelized onion tips:
- The best onions to use are yellow, brown, or sweet Vidalia.
- Don't overcrowd the onions in the pan or they will steam and not caramelize.
- For this onion dip recipe, I chopped them into smaller pieces so they would be easy to scoop on a potato chip.
- You can slice onions into long strips to use caramelized onions on burgers, steaks, and grilled sausages.
- Stir every 5-10 minutes to get them more evenly golden brown.
- Keep the heat low, don't turn up the heat you will end up with uneven burnt and raw onions.
- Some people even deglaze the pan with a small amount of water, wine, or chicken stock for even richer results.
Serving: 24g | Calories: 114kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 134mg | Potassium: 220mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 179IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg