Valentine's Day Palmier Cookies
Palmiers are flaky crisp French cookies with only 3 ingredients, are easy to bake, and these heart cookies are perfect for Valentine's Day!
- 1 box puff pastry Pepperidge Farm
- 2 cups sugar
- 10 oz white chocolate melting wafers
- Valentine's cookie decorating sprinkles candies, red and pink sprinkles, and color sugars
Roll Out Puff Pastry
Sprinkle ½ cup of white granulated sugar evenly on the counter or wooden board.
Open puff pastry sheet and lay flat on work surface. Evenly sprinkle ½ cup of sugar on top puff pastry.
Use rolling-pin, roll the puff pastry sheet until it's about 13 x 13 inches square. The sugar will press into the puff pastry on top and bottom.
Heart Shape Palmiers
At this point, you can sprinkle colored sugar on one or both sides and gently roll the rolling pin to set it, before rolling up.
After sprinkling color sugar, tightly roll the dough from each side until it meets in the middle. Slice the dough into ½ inch slices, slightly pinch together the bottom of the heart shaped dough point to create a heart
It is best to rechill the sliced dough before baking about 30 minutes, this helps it puff as the butter resets.
Place the slices, cut side up, on baking sheets lined with Silpat mats or parchment paper.
Bake the cookies 400 for 20 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a baking rack to cool.
Optional: Dip ½ cookie into melted white chocolate and sprinkle with sugar sprinkles or candies.
palmier baking tips:
- It is best to rechill the sliced dough before baking, this helps it puff as the butter resets.
- Palmiers will get crunchier as they cool, and are the best to eat the same day.
- To get the classic folded Palmier shape, chill the puff pastry after rolling up, and slicing. This helps it keep its shape during baking. I use a small baking sheet and pop in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes just before baking.
- Press a lot of sugar into the puff pastry dough. The more sugar, the more crunchy and caramelized your palmier will bake.
- For a fun Valentine's Day idea, melt white chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl over simmering water.
- Dip in half the palmier and sprinkle with color sugars, sprinkles, or candies.
Store them in an airtight container, but they will go soft in a couple of days.
Serving: 20g | Calories: 289kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 74mg | Potassium: 56mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 4IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg