Sausage Stuffing with Dried Cranberries and Cherries
The BEST holiday Sausage Stuffing with crumbled Italian sausage, cornbread pieces, crunchy celery, crispy french bread cubes, fresh parsley, sweet cherries, and cranberries!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
- 1 box cornbread stuffing
- 1/2 french bread loaf cut into 1" cubes
- 32 oz Italian Sausage - mild and or hot (bulk sausage)
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 stick butter
- 8 stalks celery finely sliced
- 2 onions finely sliced
- 3/4 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 28 oz chicken stock
Brown and crumble sausage in a large pan, drain, and place sausage in a large mixing bowl.
In the same pan, melt 1 cube butter, add finely sliced onion and celery, salt, and pepper.
Cook for 5 minutes until translucent.
Add the onion/celery mixture to the large bowl.
Add the bag of cornbread dressing, french bread, dried cherries, dried cranberries, and parsley. Using a large spoon, mix and stir in the chicken stock.
Scoop into a large baking dish, sprayed with coconut oil or non-stick spray.
Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
Why You Will Love Sausage Stuffing with Dried Cranberries and Cherries
- If you make this stuffing a day ahead, it only gets better. The first day is fabulous, but oh that second day it gets even better!!
- It freezes perfectly in ziptop bags.
- It's so rich that it's a meal in and of itself! Each year, I make two gigantic bowls of this delicious stuff. Lots will go home in takeout containers to people who visit, and we usually pop some in the freezer.
- The texture of this stuffing is great, there is something different in each bite. Soft, crunchy, crispy, with chewy all in one happy dressing.
- It hits all the right notes! Cornbread is a classic stuffing start, and the cubed french bread adds chunky pieces of bread to soak up all the flavors. Dried cherries and dried cranberries add just the right bit of sweetness and bright color. Parsley and the celery really freshen up this dish.
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 619mg | Potassium: 242mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 490IU | Vitamin C: 5.3mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1.3mg