Last Updated June 13th, 2019 at 07:34 pm by Lisa
Easy, healthy slow cooker turkey chili bowls made with black beans. Great for dinner or the big game! Toppings: grated cheese, green onions, and sour cream.
We always have these with Easy Cheesy Jalapeno Corn Bread Muffins. The sour cream melts into the gooey cheese, and then the crisp fresh sliced green onions together are a flavor party.
The sour cream melts into the gooey cheese, and then the crisp fresh sliced green onions together are a flavor party…
This chili can be made on the stove very easily and works perfectly. I usually use a Cuisinart Multi-Cooker it’s a slow cooker that will brown or saute’. Pretty cool, because it truly makes life a lot easier for two reasons. One – only one pot to clean, and Two – for the flavor it adds to the recipe. The heat on the brown/saute setting will release a lot of flavor in the onions, spices, and turkey meat.
If you have a traditional slow cooker, it will still do a fantastic job plus you can go do something else while it does the work for you! (Like sleep, read, or shop) I am in LOVE with my Cuisinart Multi Slow Cooker, because it makes our home smell so yummy for several hours and keeps the chili hot, clean up is easy, and it makes a large amount of food which always seems to indicate people are about to show up to watch a football game or a good visit. My husband has been known for inviting crowds of people to watch the game, and forgetting to tell me!
Okay, here we go…Turkey Chili is about to happen! Oh and I almost forgot, we really can’t eat Turkey Chili without its sidekick recipe Easy Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Bread Muffins. Click here for that recipe right here on my website: Easy Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Bread Muffins. Enjoy my friends, it’s pretty awesome. You’ll be thanking me later. ; D
Let me introduce you to Turkey Chili, it’s like a good friend that comes to visit our home. Everyone loves these Turkey Chili, says nice things about Turkey Chili, and wants to keep in touch.
A very easy recipe, Slow Cooker Turkey Chili Bowls can be made as spicy as you would like, jalapeño can add a lot of heat..so go easy if you use a fresh jalapeño. Sometimes I buy the finely diced canned jalapeños, watch the heat scale on the side and add just a tablespoon or so.
Add all 7 spices and stir for 2-3 minutes.
Add ground turkey and brown the turkey, then add the tomato paste, beer, tomatoes, green chilis, jalapeño (optional), and black beans.
Cook for 4 hours on low for a slow cooker/crockpot setting.
For cooking on stove top: In a large pot, saute onions on medium-high heat, add 7 spices, brown ground turkey, then add tomato paste, beer, tomatoes, green chilis, black beans.
Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 1-hour stirring occasionally.
Top with green onions, cheese, and sour cream.
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili Bowls
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium yellow onions diced 2 cups diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or Melissa's Produce Hatch Chile Powder
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 lbs ground turkey
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1/2 beer Lagers give rich flavor-I use Boddington's
- 28 oz organic tomatoes
- 1 small can green chilis low heat
- 2 cans organic black beans drained
- grated cheese - Mexican 4 cheese blend
- sliced green onions
- sour cream
- Serve with tortilla chips
- In a saute pan or a slow-cooker with the saute setting, saute diced onions in butter until just turning brown.
- In the slow cooker, add all 7 spices to the browned onions, and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add turkey, tomato paste, beer, tomatoes, green chilis, and black beans. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 4 hours on low in Slow Cooker. Stir once an hour.
- Option for Stovetop: In a large pot, saute onions and 7 spices, brown ground turkey, add tomato paste, beer, tomatoes, green chilis, and black beans. Cover and cook 1 hour on medium-low heat.
- Stir and serve in bowls with grated cheese, sour cream, green onions, and tortilla chips.
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili Bowls go so well with Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins.
All the Best,