Last Updated March 25th, 2019 at 05:51 pm by Lisa
This recipe is sponsored by Melissa’s Produce. Prep dinner in 10 minutes, these easy Slow Cooker Cuban Sofrito Flank Steak Bowls burst with flavor from steak, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and 6 spices.
Thanks to my friends at Melissa’s Produce from providing their beautiful sweet Perfect Onions for this recipe. You guys are the best, thank you!
Slow Cooker Cuban Sofrito Flank Steak Bowls:
Tracee (my BFF since high school) gave this recipe to me and all I could think of was how much we love flank steak in our family but I wondered how would it be in a slow cooker?
In one word, extraordinary! It is full of flavor, tender, and goes so well with the bell pepper, onion, avocado, tomato, and rice.
Simple ingredients go in, and a “company worthy” dinner comes out.
To say it was a hit is an understatement! This is now a go-to easy dinner for us.
What is Cuban Sofrito?
In Cuban cuisine, sofrito is a sauce usually made with Spanish onions, garlic, and green bell peppers cut into small pieces and cooked in oil. It is a classic base for dishes including ropa vieja, picadillo, stews, and beans. Other ingredients are usually added to sofrito to enhance the flavor such as white wine, tomato sauce, cumin, bay leaf, and cilantro. Many countries have their own version of sofrito, including Puerto Rico, Spain, and Portugal.
We are skipping the oil in this recipe, but these classic Cuban sofrito flavors really pop together!
I LOVE the Cuban people, and you can take a peek of the photos I shot on the beautiful island of Cuba in January of 2016.
The farmer’s markets were filled with beautifully braided strands of onions and garlic, and many simple spices were easy to find. I also saw these braids hanging in the Cuban homes we visited, they would keep them by the back door in the cool shade.
Slow Cooker Cuban Sofrito Flank Steak Bowls
Slow Cooker Flank Steak
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes (and juice)
- 3 bell peppers green, red, orange or yellow sliced 1/2” strips
- 1 Melissa’s Perfect Onions cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds flank steak
Flank Steak Bowls & Toppings
- 1 cup cooked rice use beef stock instead of water
- 3-4 avocado slices
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime wedge
- In a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes and their juice, bell pepper strips, onion wedges, oregano, cumin, bay leaves, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place the flank the steak down inside the vegetables. You don’t need to add any additional liquid.
- Cook covered 4 hours on high, or low for 5-7 hours.
- About a half hour before serving, cook the rice and try to use beef stock instead of water for great flavor.
- Remove the bay leaves, use 2 forks and shred the beef and mix into the cooked vegetable mixture.
- Serve in bowls, place the rice in the bottom then top with flank steak and vegetables on top. Garnish with fresh avocado slices, cilantro leaves, and a squeeze of lime!
A good squeeze or two of lime adds a bright fresh taste to your Cuban Sofrito Flank Steak Bowls…and the creamy avocado is so right in this dish. Cilantro (always optional) adds a clean bright note.
A good rice tip: make your rice with beef (or chicken stock), you will be amazed at how the flavor improves over just using water.
Easy, simple, and delicious. Thank you again, Tracee, for sharing this awesome recipe. By the way, her family loves this recipe too! Give it a try, I promise it will make your families favorite list.
All The Best Dishes,
One of our other family favorite slow cooker recipes is Slow Cooker Turkey Chili Bowls…made it countless times!
Make a Real Cuban Mint Mojito…plus some Cuba pictures.