Last Updated February 24th, 2018 at 05:28 pm by Lisa
Loaded Chili Dogs Topped with Homemade Pickle Relish are a hit for big game days or parties. Learn the secret to thick hot dog chili, load with toppings you love!
The homemade pickle relish is full of delicious FRESH ingredients, and no added sugar or preservatives. It takes minutes to make, and is amazing…plus the color is gorgeous…
- 8 grilled hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns toasted optional
- homemade pickle relish recipe below
- a batch of hot dog chili
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions sliced thin
- optional toppings: mustard ketchup, pickled jalapenos, crumbled bacon, or sauerkraut
- 2 cups bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons dill relish
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 diced onion browned
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 pound of ground beef
- 12 oz bottle beer any beer will work, pub ale preferred
- 16 oz salsa
- 32 oz cans refried beans makes the chili thick!
Pulse all ingredients in food processor until finely mixed (or finely mince veggies on a cutting board and mix with wet ingredients and spices in a bowl).
Let sit for a day if possible, store in a mason jar, and use within a week.
Over medium-high heat in a large heavy dutch oven or pot, add the butter, and brown the onion with sea salt, ground pepper, chili powder, granulated garlic, oregano, and cumin. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the ground beef, stir and saute until brown.
Once the onion and ground beef are browned, add 12 ounces of beer, the salsa, and both cans of refried beans. Stir to combine.
Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, skim the fat off the surface with a large spoon, stirring occasionally.
Serve the chili warm on the loaded hot dogs.
In each bun (toasting optional), place a grilled hot dog, homemade pickle relish, grated cheese, and green onions.
Add any other toppings you like and enjoy!
Parties and game days are all about relaxing and having fun. You can make this chili and relish ahead, and grill the hot dogs during the party. Have fun setting up a hot dog topping bar full of favorites, and let people build their own loaded dog!
All The Best Dishes,
For more game day and party food recipe ideas…
Cuban Pulled Pork Sliders are easy to serve at parties…
Did you know you can make awesome Pulled Pork in your oven? So easy, so good!