Iced White Gazpacho Soup cool with cucumbers, grapes, green apple, and almonds. Garnish; lump crab meat, sliced almonds, sliced grapes, and lemon olive oil.
Growing up, my Mom often made red gazpacho soup on hot summer days. I loved the cool fresh “cold soup”, that’s what we called it as kids. Today, I love to serve gazpacho out by our pool on hot days in small cups, it reminds me of those long hot summer days growing up.
I have often loved the idea of a white gazpacho and had a delicious bowl sitting outside at a lovely restaurant in Austin Texas called Second Bar and Kitchen. It was a warm balmy evening, and that cool white gazpacho was so refreshing.
In that moment, I decided to recreate my own white gazpacho recipe, a classic dish from Spain.
Ajoblanco, often called white gazpacho, is a popular Spanish cold soup from Granada and Málaga (Andalusia). This dish is usually made of bread (sometimes day old bread), crushed almonds, garlic, water, olive oil, salt and sometimes vinegar. It is usually served with grapes or slices of melon as garnish. I elevated my version a bit with crab meat, as that is how they made it at Second Bar and Kitchen.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil 1 tablespoon for leeks, 1 for the soup
- 1 cup leeks white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 English cucumbers - peeled quartered and chopped
- 8 medium green grapes
- 1 small green apple cored in chunks
- 1/4 cup sliced blanched almonds
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups cold water or more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1-2 pinches cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 slices bread crusts removed/cut into pieces
- optional garnishes: lump crab meat sliced almonds, thinly sliced grapes, drizzle of lemon olive oil
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook and stir leeks until soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove to a plate and allow to cool.
In a high-speed blender, place cooled leeks, cucumbers, grapes, green apples, almonds, Greek yogurt (or creme fraiche), white wine vinegar, water, salt, cayenne, minced garlic, and bread pieces, Puree until smooth, about 1 minute. Strain through a fine mesh sieve. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
Serve garnished with lump crab meat, sliced almonds, thinly sliced grapes, and a drizzle of lemon olive oil
Traveling often inspires new recipes for me, and I consider those the best kind of travel souvenirs!
All The Best Dishes,
This cheese soup recipe was also inspired by beautiful Austin Texas the year before. Famous Cheese Soup: Driskill Hotel…
Light Healthy Apple Broccoli Grape Salad is chock-full of nutritious ingredients with light clean orange dressing!
Or try this light Mango Jicama Slaw with Mango-Lime Vinaigrette… it is delicious!