Grilled Lamb Gyros and Tzatziki Sauce are made in minutes on the grill, place on a pita, and top with cool cucumber, tomato, and tzatziki sauce…
What Is Pita Bread?
Pita bread is a flatbread or bread made with flour, water, and salt. The dough is rolled flat, and baked in a hot oven. Many flatbreads are unleavened—although some are slightly leavened, such as pita bread.
Tips for a Cookout Grill Party:
1. Bring your meat up to room temperature before cooking— and prevent it from drying out.
2. Grass-fed meats require less cooking time—about 30% less is a good rule of thumb.
3. Allow steaks, chops, and roasts to rest 5-10 minutes before cutting—it keeps them nice and juicy.
4. For extra juicy meat and easy cleanup, slice cooked meat on a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan. Plate the meat then pour the juices on top.
Lamb Busted Myths:
Myth: It’s “gamey”
Truth: Its flavor is actually closer to what Mother Nature intended because the animals only eat lush, green and abundant pastures. Lamb is mild and almost nutty in flavor and aroma.
Myth: It’s dry
Truth: Only if you over-cook it. Seared in a hot pan or grill, lamb is more tender, flavorful, and juicy between rare and medium. Cuts like legs and shoulders require a longer cook time, low and slow is the best way to go.
Myth: My kids won’t like it!
Truth: Why not? Lamb is mild in flavor, juicy and tender. And I tested lamb with kids (without telling them), and they loved it!
Why Are Big Green Eggs So Good? because…
You can grill, smoke, bake, and roast all on your Big Green Egg (BGE).
This grill gets hot! And you can grill fast at high temperatures.
BGE grills use lump charcoal; no artificial charcoal additives or lighter fluid here!
The flavor of food grilled on the BGE is amazing, it adds a nice smoky flavor.
Temperature is controlled by the bottom and top vents, giving accurate temperatures.
Ceramic cookers are heavy and hold the heat. BGE grills stay hot until you decide to cool it down.
You can add wood for a smokier flavor: apple, cherry, hickory, oak or pecan.
EGGheads (Big Green Egg Fans) love all the BGE accessories to create delicious dishes.
How To Make Lamb Kabobs:
- Mix your meatball mixture well combined in a bowl.
- Use a medium size ice cream scoop to get them even sizes.
- Then roll the lamb meatballs to almost 3″ in size, as they will shrink on the grill.
Watch Our Video On Making Grilled Lamb Gyro Wraps with Green Tzatziki Sauce!
Sassy wants a bite of Lamb Gyros!
More of my Grilled Lamb Recipes:
More of my Grilled Recipes:
Greek Gyros and Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cucumber seeded peeled
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint minced
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 egg
- 3 lb Aussie grass-fed ground lamb
- 4 pita wraps
- toppings: chopped tomatoes parsley, and cucumber
- chilled tzatziki sauce
- Using a whisk, mix Greek yogurt, minced garlic, chopped cucumber, lemon juice, olive oil, chopped mint, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours, this helps the flavor.
- Preheat your grill or Big Green Egg to 400 degrees.
- Soak wood skewers in cold water for 1 hour, or use metal skewers.
- In a large bowl, add diced onions, minced garlic, breadcrumbs, cinnamon, oregano, parsley, rosemary, cumin, allspice, paprika, salt, pepper, and crumbled feta. Mix well, then crack in one egg and add ground lamb. Using clean hands or a spatula, combine until it comes together. Use a medium size ice cream scoop and then roll the lamb meatballs to almost 3" in size, as they will shrink on the grill.
- Push 4-5 lamb meatballs onto each skewer leaving space in between.
- Grill for 5-6 minutes per side at 400 degrees on your grill (or Big Green Egg) turning every 5-6 minutes until nicely brown.
Assemble the Gyros
- Place 3 grilled lamb meatballs onto the pita, sprinkle on chopped tomato, cucumber, and drizzle with tzatziki sauce. Garnish with parsley!
- chopped: cucumber, tomato, and tzatziki sauce.