Last Updated May 22nd, 2020 at 12:49 pm by Lisa
Elegant Crispy Baby Potatoes with homemade herb butter. A beautiful side perfect for a special dinner, romantic date night, entertaining, or a dinner party!
Okay, this super easy recipe is worth each minute it takes to make these and I must confess, I ate many before dinner. And seriously couldn’t stop.
You had me at crispy potatos….then you tell me to slather them with homemade herb butter?
Wouldn’t these elegant potatoes be perfect for a dinner party or special celebration? You can roast them ahead, and then reheat back in the oven for a few minutes to warm them up before serving. After roasting on a sheet tray, the edges get crisp and the inside of the buttery yellow potato is soft.
Slather with herb butter, and you have a winning side dish!
How to Make Elegant Crispy Baby Potatoes
Ways to Use Smood Potato Masher:
- Use your Smood to gently press Melissa’s Produce Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes for special dinners!
- Smood is a potato masher that presses flat to create smooth, fluffy mashed potatoes in seconds and scrapes the pot clean.
- Try your Smood and make delicious creamy smooth guacamole.
- Makes homemade healthy baby food in seconds.
- Fall squash or sweet potatoes are mashed smooth with your Smood.
Smood Product Review:
I am quite impressed with the Smood Potato Masher. The materials are of high-quality materials, and it feels great in your hand. My favorite part of this tool is that it is actually 2 tools in one. A masher and a built-in bowl scraper in one great tool, never seen that ever on the market. Feels like this is a kitchen gadget that will last a lifetime, and it will be getting a lot of use this fall and winter with mashed potatoes, and guacamole.
Elegant Crispy Smashed Baby Potatoes + Herb Butter
Crispy Smashed Baby Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds Melissa’s Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes
- Olive Oil – to brush or spray
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs – minced thyme rosemary, parsley (other options to try: basil, sage, dill, chives, tarragon, oregano, marjoram or rosemary)
- sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper
Make the herb butter:
- Leave butter out at room temperature for a few hours to soften. (Quick tip: cut the cube into little cubes and it will soften faster.)
- Snip fresh herbs in a glass jar with kitchen scissors until the herbs are finely minced.
- Mix soft butter, 3-4 tablespoons finely chopped herbs, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper.
- Place your herb butter in a small sealed container. Try it on toasted bread, steak, fish, or vegetables.
Make the crispy baby potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large pot boil potatoes 15 minutes until fork tender.
- Drain and place on a cookie sheet.
- Using a potato masher, fork, or Smood Potato Masher, gently press down once till flat but still retains overall shape.
- Spray or brush with olive oil, and pop into the oven for 20 minutes until edges are crispy and golden brown.
- Brush with herb butter (it will stay soft if left at room temp) and firms in the fridge.
- Sprinkle sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and more fresh herbs.
- Serve right away.
How to Make Homemade Herb Butter
These baby potatoes are small, a buttery yellow, and perfect for this recipe. Thanks again Melissa’s for sponsoring this post with your fantastic fresh produce. Also in this recipe, I am doing a product review of Dreamfarm’s Smood potato masher, which I love!
One night for dinner, I had these Elegant Crispy Baby Potatoes, Homemade Herb Butter, and Steak Au Poivre aka pepper steak. It was simply divine, felt so elegant, and it was a weekday!
A recipe for Steak Au Poivre is in the works, my friends. A traditional French dish of filet mignon steak coated with fresh cracked pepper, seared in a grill pan, and finished in a hot oven.
This one recipe has the potential to get you married, make someone fall in love, or at least make someone you love really happy.
All the Best,
If this recipe was your kind of thing, try my Grilled Asparagus Gremolata Topping