Last Updated January 20th, 2021 at 01:28 pm by Lisa
Chunky Tomato Soup with Basil Dumplings is loaded with a veggie rainbow. A hearty soup recipe with easy fluffy basil dumplings that soak up the tomato soup.
Wait, did you say basil dumplings?
Yes, I did, and let me tell you the basil dumplings make this soup special. And I will tell you the secret of how easy these dumplings are to make...
Today I am thankful and cooking with my friend Martha at her home. She was a huge inspiration behind Delicious Table, as I saw her speak at a workshop about achieving your dreams back in 2015. That day I finally decided to launch my dream and build this very website you are reading.
During the Launch Your Creativity workshop, it seemed like each obstacle to my dream was slowly melting away. Back then, I would say things to myself like, "How can I photograph my food if I don't even know how to turn on an intimidating digital camera, and that lens is so huge?" Well, I met a photographer named Cynthia that day who could teach me all I needed to know about photography. You can see her business here: Cynthia Shaffer.
"But I can't build a website, I'm not technical?" Well, I met a few ladies who not only built their own websites but made a living in their self-built online businesses like Lidy. You can see her business here: French Garden House.
And on and on it went until at the end of that day I decided, its time. Finally, after FOUR years of every excuse I could think of, all the sudden I was ready. (I think?) Just kidding, I'm totally doing this online blog thing.
Fast forward months later, Martha and I are both doing what we love and following our dreams. Martha has a new book on Amazon called A Better Version of You, and her website is www.abetterversionofyou.com. Her 36 years of success in the real estate industry is truly legendary, and she shares that success on how to live the life of your dreams. She actually is so humble and has no idea how respected she is in the real estate business. (Shh..our secret, let's not tell her now!) This lady knows how to reach goals while having a joy-filled balanced life. If you want to live a better life, I encourage you to read her book and chase your dreams. Be careful, you might just catch one (a dream)!
Since Martha and I both like to write and cook, that made us the perfect team to prepare this recipe, Chunky Tomato Soup with Basil Dumplings. We cooked together in her beautiful home and fed her hungry family. Martha's husband, son, and 3-year-old grand-daughter all raved about the soft fluffy basil dumplings soaked in the hot rich tomato soup. Hey, if a 3-year-old approves then it must be good! You can use fresh tomatoes in place of canned if you would like, the key to this soup is to not puree the soup all the way but leave it rustic and well..chunky.
How To Make Chunky Tomato Soup with Basil Dumplings:
The first step, roughly chop the rainbow of veggies...
Next, in a large dutch oven or saucepan, heat oil over medium heat, add onion, shallot, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stir until onions are tender.
Add in vegetable broth, carrot, celery, red pepper, lemon juice, and sugar, bring to a boil. Decrease heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
Add canned tomatoes with juice or chopped fresh tomatoes. Add cayenne pepper to taste, cook uncovered, over low heat about 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring often.
Season chunky tomato soup to taste with salt and pepper. Use an immersion stick blender in the pot to puree until almost smooth. Leave it thick and chunky like this...
While the chunky tomato soup is cooking, prepare the dumplings and roll into 1" small balls with a spoon.
How To Make Basil Dumplings:
In a small bowl, combine; ⅓ cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt. In another small bowl, stir together: 1 beaten egg and 2 teaspoons cooking oil; pour egg mixture into flour mixture; using a wooden spoon, beat until a soft, sticky dough forms.
Drop all the basil dumplings into the soup, cook for ten minutes uncovered, and 10 minutes covered.
The basil dumplings will get puffy, and rise up a bit. You can take one out and cut into it to be sure the dough is cooked through.
Ladle your Chunky Tomato Soup with Basil Dumplings into bowls and garnish with basil sprigs.
Chunky Tomato Soup with Basil Dumplings
Chunky Tomato Soup:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onion chopped
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 28 oz box organic vegetable broth
- 1 carrot coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs celery coarsely chopped
- 1 small sweet red bell pepper coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- tiny dash cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 14 ½ oz can diced tomatoes undrained
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
Make Tomato Soup:
- In a large dutch oven or saucepan, heat oil over medium heat, add onion, shallot, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stir until onions are tender. Add in vegetable broth, carrot, celery, red bell pepper, lemon juice, sugar, cayenne, sea salt, and pepper then bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Use an immersion stick blender in the pot to puree until almost smooth.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, cook uncovered, over low heat about 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring often.
Make Basil Dumplings:
- In a small bowl, combine; ⅓ cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt. In another small bowl, stir together: 1 beaten egg and 2 teaspoons cooking oil; pour egg mixture into flour mixture; using a wooden spoon, stir until a soft, sticky dough forms.
- Form Basil Dumplings into 1" size balls, by using 2 spoons.
- Carefully drop basil dumplings from a spoon into soup. Cook for 10 minutes with the lid off, then 10 minutes with the lid of the pot on. To test if done, remove a dumpling and check the center, making sure they finished cooking to the center.
- Ladle the tomato soup bowls and basil dumplings into a bowl, and garnish with basil sprigs.
Tomato Soup is something we all love, and Chunky Tomato Soup with Basil Dumplings is healthy hearty comfort food in a bowl. Hot rich tomato soup loaded with a veggie rainbow while the fluffy basil dumplings soak up the soup. Yum is all I can say!
All The Best Dishes,
Here is another recipe tomato recipe you might enjoy: Skinny Turkey Veggie Meatballs and Sauce
Fresh picked tomatoes and basil from our veggie garden made this recipe special.