Last Updated June 4th, 2019 at 04:50 am by Lisa
Sweet Cherry Chocolate Chunk Heart Hand Pies with a sugar crust. Oh this crust, it is as good as it looks. And that is how my Mom made her pies, and she always said it is what makes the pie good….so that’s how I like mine!
Fun treats for your sweetheart, family, or friends.
Hand pies are just that, no fork required…
Cherry Chocolate Chunk Heart Hand Pies
- 2 pie crusts homemade or store bought
- 16 ounce bag frozen dark pitted sweet cherries
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks or semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cut the pie crusts into heart shapes using a large cookie cutter, paring knife, or heart hand pie press
- In a small bowl, mix the cherries, chocolate, corn starch, sugar, lemon juice sea salt and vanilla extract.
- Fill each hand pie with a small amount of filling about 5-6 cherries per pie, try to not overfill. Place your filling on the bottom crust, place top crust, and press in hand pie press or crimp the edges closed with a fork. Be careful to not overfill the press or pie hearts so they seal well.
- Sprinkle each pie with sugar.
- Bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes, on a parchment lined baking sheet until edges are golden brown.
For these hand pies, I found this heart shaped press at Williams Sonoma. You can always simply cut out a heart shape in parchment paper, and trace around with a small paring knife or pastry wheel.
Place your filling on the bottom crust, place top crust, and crimp the edges closed with a fork. Be careful to not overfill the press or pie hearts so they seal well.
Oh that melted chocolate with the sweet cherries, incredible…can you tell I was already making sure these were good while snapping some photos?
In just about 45 minutes, you can make these sweet Cherry Chocolate Chunk Heart Hand Pies. What a sweet treat for those you love. Enjoy friends!
All The Best Dishes,
For other sweet treat ideas, try my Valentine’s Day French Palmier Heart Cookies